The inaugural “I Promise Huddle” will include speakers and conversations focused on improving communities and education.
Stand Together is proud to partner with the LeBron James Family Foundation to support its inaugural “I Promise Huddle,” a new initiative designed to unite a diversity of voices and turn desire for change in communities and education into immediate action.
With the public I PROMISE School and I PROMISE Village in Akron, Ohio, as the backdrop, the inaugural Huddle will feature speakers and conversations centered around injustices in education that deny students an equal opportunity to an education that meets their unique needs, such as forcing students to attend schools because of where their parents live. The Huddle will ask hard questions, highlight solutions, and accelerate transformative models to dramatically improve communities, systems, and education for all students and families.
Communities across America continue to confront injustices and work to overcome some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation. The I Promise Huddle will serve as a reoccurring forum focused on convening diverse perspectives and opposing viewpoints on those injustices.
“To create real change, we must have an open and honest dialogue about what is happening and model actionable ways to fix these issues,” said Michele Campbell, executive director of the LeBron James Family Foundation. “The purpose of the Huddle is to not just talk about these injustices that have held some members of our communities back for so long. We want to bring together people to share our passion for this hard work and engage and empower them to activate their own communities.”
“Assigning kids to schools based on their ZIP code perpetuates historical injustices in K-12 education and must be ended if we are to live up to our country’s ideals of equality and justice,“ said Brian Hooks, CEO of Stand Together. “Now is the time to take action so that every child has the opportunity to realize their potential.”
Speakers and panelists include award-winning authors, national activists, nonprofit leaders, student activists, and I PROMISE partners from every phase of LeBron’s journey in dynamic and compelling conversations leading to tangible solutions. Some of the Huddle’s confirmed speakers and discussion topics are included below, and a full list can be found here.
- A conversation featuring Derrell Bradford, Executive Vice President of 50CAN, about the racial injustice is our country’s education system.
- A roundtable with Tim DeRoche, author of “A Fine Line: How Most American Kids are Kept out of the Best Public Schools” and Rebecca Sibilia, Founder of EdBuild, on the separate and unequal reality of America’s public schools.
- An in-depth look at what it means to be color brave with Mellody Hobson, co-CEO and president of Ariel Investments.
- A conversation with Dr. Victor Rios, award-winning professor, author, and former high school drop-out and juvenile delinquent turned founder of Project GRIT, moderated by one of LeBron’s high school “330 Ambassador” students.
- A student-driven town hall with youth activists from across the nation, including student activists from yes. every kid., Student Group on Race Relations, and the I PROMISE program highlighting the youth leaders defining a new goal for public education.
- An intimate conversation with I PROMISE School Principal, Brandi Davis, and an I PROMISE family about the trauma of American poverty and how it impedes learning.
- A conversation with Rajiv Vinnakota, president of The Woodrow Wilson Foundation, about the importance of engaging young people in civic learning to address communities’ biggest challenges.
- A conversation about leadership, building coalitions and bridging divides with Michelle Campbell, executive director of the LJFF, and Evan Feinberg, executive director of Stand Together Foundation.
The inaugural I PROMISE Huddle will take place, by invitation only, Oct. 6-8, 2020, with key findings and content to be shared following the event. For more information, including the full agenda and speaker lineup, visit here.
Photo credit: Getty Images
Sign up for updates delivered right to your inbox.